What is the VSI crusher feed eye ring?
The VSI (Vertical Shaft Impactor) crusher feed eye ring is a component that is located on the top of the rotor assembly of a VSI crusher. It is designed to direct the incoming feed material onto the spinning rotor, which then accelerates the material and throws it outward against the stationary anvils or curtains that line the crushing chamber.
The feed eye ring is typically made of a durable material such as steel and is designed to withstand the high impact forces generated by the incoming feed material. It is also designed to be easily replaceable, as it can wear over time due to the abrasive nature of the material being crushed.
The proper functioning of the feed eye ring is critical to the performance of a VSI crusher, as it helps to ensure that the incoming material is evenly distributed across the rotor and that the maximum amount of material is impacted by the rotor. This results in better particle shape and size distribution, as well as increased throughput and efficiency.
Feed eye ring wear problem
Wear on the feed eye ring is largely determined by the material flow from the feed tube. Thus as the feed tube wears the feed eye ring will be exposed to more wear.
To minimize the wear of the feed eye ring it is essential to maintain the feed tube in the correct position.
The feed eye ring wears in three places opposite the rotor ports.
Replace the feed eye ring when the upper wear plate is worn to a thickness of 3-5mm at the inside edge.
The fixed feed eye ring cannot be rotated. A multi-life bolt-on feed eye ring is available for most models.
Check feed tube is correctly positioned.
Feed Eye Ring Breakage
Material lodging between the feed tube and the feed eye ring. Check rotor build-up.
Feed Eye Ring Coming Loose
Check feed eye ring is correctly installed.
Feed eye ring removal and installation
- Remove roof and hopper in one lift.
- With a hammer hit the top of the rotor (not the feed eye ring) above the wear plates to loosen the build-up.
- For fixed type feed eye ring, turn the feed eye ring counter-clockwise until the locking tabs line up with the slots in the rotor top. If material build-up stops the worn feed eye ring from turning using a soft blow hammer to tap the feed eye ring counter-clockwise.
- For bolt-on type feed eye ring, undo the 3 fixing bolts. If tight, tap with copper or rubber mallet which will shock feed eye ring and make the bolts easier to remove.
- Lift the feed eye ring out.
- Ensure mating surfaces are clean and free of snags. If refitting upper and lower wear plates ensure these are in position.
- Position feed eye ring so locking tabs and slots line up.
- For fixed type feed eye ring, lower and turn clockwise to lock in place.
- For bolt-on type feed eye ring, align bolt holes in feed eye ring with tapped holes in rotor. Bolt feed eye ring to rotor, ensuring copper washers are used. Bolts should be fifi rmly tightened by hand. Over tightening of the fifi xing bolts may cause breakage of the feed eye ring casting.